Curb appeal is not something with which only people selling a home need to be concerned. Commercial properties also need curb appeal. Whether you manage an apartment complex, a shopping mall, a hotel or any other type of business, you want the exterior of your property to make a good impression on your customers, tenants or visitors. Since the first thing that people usually notice about your property is your parking lot, it is important to keep it properly maintained so that it is aesthetically appealing. However, proper maintenance is also crucial if you want your parking lot to have the longest life possible.
What Is Parking Lot Maintenance?
There are a number of procedures that can be used to maintain your parking lot. Some procedures need to be regularly scheduled, but you may only need others every 20 years or so. Furthermore, not every parking lot requires the same procedures, so you will need to discuss your precise needs with a reputable asphalt contractor.
• Sealcoating: Sealcoating is the most effective and most economical way to prolong the life of your parking lot. Asphalt pavement that has fresh sealcoating applied when need will typically last twice as long as it would without the sealcoating. Sealcoating protects against damages caused by UV rays, automotive fluids and corrosive chemicals. In addition, sealcoating improves the appearance of asphalt pavement by restoring its dark color and smoothing out surface imperfections.
• Crack Repair: Cracks pose a serious risk to the life of asphalt pavement. Water finds its ways through breaks in the pavement and penetrates to the foundation that supports the pavement. The foundation becomes eroded and unstable, leading to extensive cracking, potholes and sunken areas of pavement. These damages are unsightly, but they also mean that you could be facing an expensive repair bill or even the total replacement of your parking lot.
• Pavement Markings: Fresh paint can do wonders for a parking lot. Highly visible striping for parking spaces makes it easier for your visitors to park, but it also improves your property’s curb appeal. Other pavement markings, including crosswalks, traffic arrows, handicapped parking spaces and no-parking zones, brighten the parking lot, but they make your lot safer for all of your visitors.
• Overlays: Whether your parking lot is concrete or asphalt, an overlay may be a viable alternative to complete replacement. An overlay is a layer of asphalt that is installed directly over the existing pavement. The overlay will look and perform virtually the same as new asphalt pavement, but the monetary savings can be substantial.
• Concrete Repairs: Concrete sidewalks, curbs, walkways and parking lots require occasional repairs. Cracks or areas where the slabs are not level are unattractive, but they also pose a tripping hazard to pedestrians and may possibly damage vehicles.
• Miscellaneous: Depending on your situation, your parking lot may need speed bumps, wheel stops or traffic signs installed or replaced. Car stops are frequently damaged or knocked out of position when careless drivers bump into them or drive over them.
Signs may become faded or fall victim to vandals. Speed bumps need to be placed correctly and of the correct size to discourage speeders without destroying their vehicles.
At Alpha Paving, we help customers keep their parking lots in good health and looking their best. We are an award-winning, full-service paving company serving most locations in Central Texas. Our services include sealcoating, asphalt paving and repairs, concrete repairs, overlays, parking lot striping, pavement markings, speed bump installation and parking lot signs and wheel stops. Our customer base includes commercial property managers, HOAs, subdivisions, schools, municipalities, sports venues, hotels, apartment complexes, retailers and airports. If you need extraordinary workmanship and exceptional customer service, contact Alpha Paving for a free quote by completing the online form or calling our office at (512) 677-9001.