Asphalt is a remarkably economical and durable choice for sidewalks, roadways, parking lots, driveways and sports courts. However, there are ways to make your pavement last longer and to save money on repairs. Although only your asphalt contractor can offer specific recommendations on the type and scheduling of various procedures, the following overview can help you maximize the return on your paving investment.
How Do I Utilize My Asphalt Paving Dollars? | Property Management
If the installation is inferior, the life of the pavement will suffer. Incorrect installation can shorten the life of asphalt pavement to as few as five years instead of the 20 to 30 years you might otherwise realize. It is virtually impossible to overestimate the importance of the experience, skills, and integrity of the asphalt paving company you hire to construct your new pavement. Always choose a contractor with a proven record of delivering quality work, standing behind his work, and dealing with customers in a professional, respectful manner. Furthermore, because asphalt paving parking lots and highways is far more demanding than paving walking trails and residential driveways, you should always look for a contractor with experience in projects similar in nature to your own.
How Important Is Preventive Maintenance for Asphalt Pavement?
Routine, timely maintenance can result in a dramatic increase in the pavement’s life. For example, suppose there are two similar pavements. The first receives no maintenance, but the second receive timely preventive maintenance. The second pavement can last more than twice as long as the first pavement, and in some cases, the difference can be as much as four times as long.
What Are the Most Important Maintenance Procedures for Asphalt Pavement?
Every pavement is unique, so your pavement may not receive the same volume of vehicles with the same weights as another pavement in your neighborhood. As a general rule, however, most asphalt companies recommend that you prioritize the following maintenance procedures.
1. Ask your contractor to inspect your pavement at least once each year. If possible, it is best to schedule a thorough inspection every spring and every fall. If you can only manage an annual inspection, it is usually best to schedule it for the spring.
2. Crack repairs are an essential procedure if you want to avoid costly repairs, enhance the safety of your pavement, and prolong the pavement’s life. Cracks let water reach the pavement’s supporting foundation and erode it. The pavement sinks, potholes form, and alligator cracks develop. Initially, the damage may affect only a small part of the pavement, but the foundation erosion, potholes and alligator cracks will quickly expand to the undamaged areas. In a relatively short time, your entire pavement could be in jeopardy, and you could be facing a large bill to repair the foundation and rebuild the pavement.
3. Sealcoating is a protective coating that is vital in Austin, TX and other areas that receive high levels of ultraviolet radiation. Sunlight can leave your asphalt pavement dry, brittle and faded. Sealants help asphalt retain its moisture, and they also refresh your pavement’s color.
4. A clean pavement is a healthier pavement. Leaked automotive fluids can lead to soft spots in your asphalt pavement, so hire a professional to remove spills promptly. Do not allow piles of trash, leaves or grass clippings to remain on your pavement.
5. Keep drains clear so that rain can flow freely. If the water pools around the grates, it can move under the surface of the pavement and erode the foundation. Pooled water can also cause the surrounding pavement to deteriorate. If water continues to pool after you clean the drain, call your asphalt contractor to investigate and resolve the issue.
Alpha Paving is a full-service, highly regarded asphalt paving company serving Austin and most of Central Texas. Our services include asphalt repairs, asphalt paving, asphalt overlay, sealcoating, parking lot striping, asphalt milling, speed bump installation, road construction, concrete work and street maintenance. Typical clients include counties and municipalities, apartment complexes, subdivisions, airports, shopping centers, hospitals, HOAs, schools, office parks, restaurants, hotels, and religious institutions. If you need exceptional quality at affordable prices, contact us for a free quote by submitting the online form or calling 512-677-9001.
Austin, TX, Bastrop, TX, Belton, TX, Buda, TX, Cedar Park, TX, Georgetown, TX, Hutto, TX, Killeen, TX, Kyle, TX, Lago Vista, TX, Lakeway, TX, Leander, TX, New Braunfels, TX, Pflugerville, TX, Round Rock, TX, San Marcos, TX, Taylor, TX, Temple, TX