Georgetown was not named for a British king, nor was it named for the Massachusetts city of the same name. Instead, it was named in honor of the man who donated the land on which the town was built, George Washington Glasscock. Glasscock led a colorful life in his home state of Illinois; he served with Abraham Lincoln during the Black Hawk War and was Lincoln’s partner in a flatboating operation. After moving to Texas, Glasscock practiced his surveying skills, founded several businesses, served as a manager at the State Lunatic Asylum and was a member of the Texas Legislature. He died shortly before his 58th birthday after having been thrown from a mule. Glasscock would likely be astonished by modern Georgetown, especially the asphalt pavement appearing on parking lots and other surfaces throughout the city. For over 30 years, Alpha Paving has had the privilege of helping property owners in Georgetown with all of their asphalt-related needs. We will continue to provide our customers with superior work and professional service whenever their pavements need resurfacing, sealcoating, power washing, pavement markings, crack filling, pothole repairs or parking lot striping.
Georgetown, TX – The History
No one is certain of the date when humans first appeared in the Georgetown area. Archaeologists know that occupation began as far back as 9000 B.C., but many scientists believe that humans may have been in the area before then. The earliest European records identified the Tonkawa tribe as the primary indigenous people in the area.
The town was incorporated in 1848 as the county seat of Williamson County. For the next century, Georgetown was primarily an agrarian community. Growth remained modest until the 1960s; as Austin expanded and experienced substantial growth, so did Georgetown, and economic growth was boosted by the routing of Interstate 35 through the town. As of 2015, the population was estimated to be more than 63,700 people.
Interesting Facts About Georgetown
• “Sincerely Yours” is the city’s motto.
• Georgetown’s nicknames is “The Red Poppy Capital of Texas.”
• Georgetown is home to Southwestern University, which was founded in 1840 and is the oldest university in the state.
• In 2015, the city announced that its municipal utility system would be virtually 100-percent green-powered by 2017, using solar and wind farms to produce electricity for the town.
• Thanks to extensive rehabilitation efforts, Georgetown’s downtown is known as one of the most beautiful town squares in the state.
• The first Sun City location in the state is in Georgetown. Sun City Texas is a planned community for people over the age of 55. By 2010, the community had more than 11,000 residents.
• There are more than 30 miles of bike and hiking trails in Georgetown, primarily along the San Gabriel River.
Caring for Asphalt Pavement in Georgetown
Residents of Georgetown typically enjoy mild winters and hot summers. This can lead some property owners in Georgetown to believe that asphalt pavement does not need as much care as it would in cities such as Buffalo, New York, where weather conditions are much more severe. However, regardless of climate, all asphalt pavement needs to be properly maintained to prevent premature deterioration.
• New asphalt pavement should be sealcoated approximately 12 months after installation, and fresh sealant should be reapplied every two to three years. Sealcoating protects against the UV rays that can make asphalt pavement faded, dry and too brittle to support traffic.
• Cracks should be repaired as soon as possible. If water leaks through the cracks, it can damage the pavement’s foundation. Once a foundation is unable to support the weight of the pavement, the only remedy is to remove the existing pavement so that the foundation can be rebuilt.
• Automotive fluids soften asphalt pavement, leaving it vulnerable to damage. Even if the pavement is sealcoated, these fluids should be removed periodically as they can “eat through” sealcoating to reach the pavement.
• Proper drainage is more important than many people realize. If water collects on the pavement, the risk that it will penetrate to the foundation is increased. If drains are blocked, water may flow underneath the surrounding pavement, which can also endanger the foundation.
Georgetown Property Owners Know They Can Trust Alpha Paving
For more than three decades, Alpha Paving has been assisting property owners in Georgetown with superior work, exceptional customer service and reasonable rates. We serve a diverse group of customers, including national retail chains, hospitals, educational institutions, restaurants, property owner associations, apartment complexes, hotels, airports, manufacturing facilities and local government agencies. We are a full-service paving company with an outstanding reputation. We are your one-stop resource for all of your asphalt-related needs.
• Sealcoating is the most effective and cost-efficient way to keep asphalt pavement structurally sound and looking its best.
• Parking lot markings enhance your property’s curb appeal while improving the safety of your visitors and employees. Pavement markings help ensure regulatory compliance, mark pedestrian crossings, denote areas where parking is not permitted and direct the flow of traffic.
• Asphalt repairs are essential to help pavement achieve its maximum life. Crack filling and pothole repairs can prevent damages that can be quite costly to remedy.
• Wheel stops help prevent damage caused by cars parking too close to other vehicles. They can also keep cars from driving onto landscaped areas.
• Power washing can remove the grime and dirt that may be detracting from the beauty of your asphalt pavement. Accumulated grime can also make your pavement slippery, which can present safety issues.
• Parking lot signs are an important part of managing traffic. However, signs must be placed in the appropriate locations to communicate information in a simple, direct manner.
Below are the services offered in Georgetown, TX
- Asphalt Paving: Asphalt paving services include the construction of new roads and parking lots, the installation of speed bumps and the application of an asphalt overlay, which is a new layer of asphalt that is applied to existing pavement. The category also includes asphalt milling, a procedure that is often used to smooth transitions between different pavements, repair damage, adjust the pavement around manholes or level the pavement. Milling can also be used to correct drainage problems. Learn more about Asphalt Paving and Asphalt Overlays.
- Asphalt Repair: The most common asphalt repairs involve filling cracks or potholes in the pavement. Breaks in the pavement can allow water to seep beneath the pavement and damage the supporting foundation, resulting in costly repairs. Learn more about Asphalt Repair.
- Asphalt Sealcoating: Sealcoating is an important part of parking lot maintenance. Sealants protect against damage caused by UV rays and automotive fluids. Sealcoating also restores color to faded asphalt, enhancing the property’s curb appeal. Learn more about Asphalt Sealcoating.
- Concrete Work: Concrete remains a popular choice for sidewalks and curbs. In Georgetown, TX, there are also many driveways and parking lots that have been built with concrete. Concrete is also a popular choice for ramps and ADA improvements. Learn more about Concrete.
Alpha Paving Industries is an award-winning asphalt contractor with quality workmanship, superior customer service and competitive rates. In Georgetown, TX, our services include asphalt paving and asphalt overlays, sealcoating, road construction, street maintenance, concrete, parking lot maintenance, parking lot striping, asphalt repair, parking lot signs, asphalt milling, speed humps, parking lot car stops, power washing, sandblasting and ADA compliance. Our concrete services in Georgetown, TX include ADA concrete, concrete curbing, concrete driveways, concrete ramps, concrete parking lots, and concrete sidewalks. To receive a free quote, complete the online form or call (512) 677-9001.