What do Lyndon Johnson and Heloise have in common? They both graduated from Southwest Texas State Teachers College in San Marcos. The college, now known as Texas State University — San Marcos, was also the alma mater of George Straight and Powers Boothe. That the same relatively small university could produce a president, a famous columnist, a country singer and an actor demonstrates the diversity of San Marcos’ history, economy and people. At Alpha Paving, we are proud to have been able to serve the people of San Marcos for over 30 years, providing asphalt paving, crack filling, sealcoating, pothole repairs, traffic signs, parking lot markings and other types of preventive maintenance and asphalt repairs.
San Marcos, TX – The History
Archaeological evidence indicates that the San Marcos area was first inhabited by an indigenous culture more than 12,000 years ago. However, written records do not begin until 1689. A Spanish expedition under the leadership of Alonso de Leon traveled from Mexico to establish presidios and missions in the area. Upon arriving at the river, de Leon named it the San Marcos.
In 1808, a group of Mexican settlers arrived in the area and founded Villa de San Marcos de Neve. Plagued by wolf attacks on their livestock, unusually dry weather, Indian attacks and floods, they abandoned the settlement four years later. The area remained largely unsettled until 1846 when the first Anglos arrived.
San Marcos quickly developed an economy based on the milling and ginning of the agricultural products grown in the area. With the arrival of the railroad in 1881, the town became a hub for transportation and businesses involving cotton and cattle. In 1870, the population was approximately 740; by 1910, the population had exceeded 4,000.
During World War II, the town’s economy received a boost when the San Marcos Army Air Field opened. Until the base’s closure in 1963, San Marcos experienced substantial increases in population virtually every year.
The war years also saw the town’s economic base begin to diversify. Agriculture became less critical as new manufacturing businesses emerged. During the late 1950s, tourism began to play an important role in the local economy, but by 1965, education had become the city’s largest industry.
San Marcos Today
Over the years, San Marcos has received numerous accolades. For example, in 2010, Business Week named it to the magazine’s list of “Best Places to Raise Your Kids,” and Business Insider named it one of the “10 Most Exciting Small Cities in America” in 2013.
Residents of San Marcos can choose from a variety of recreational activities. They can explore the only cave in the nation formed by an earthquake by taking a guided tour at Wonder World Park or visit the LBJ Museum of San Marcos. Tubing and kayaking on the San Marcos River can be a welcome way to pass a summer day. Live music venues are plentiful, and there are more than three dozen sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Asphalt Paving in San Marcos
Whether used for two-lane highways on the outskirts of town or parking lots that can hold thousands of cars, you will find that asphalt pavement is a popular choice in San Marcos. Asphalt pavement is eco-friendly, economical, attractive and durable. If you want your asphalt pavement to have the longest life possible, these tips can help you achieve that goal.
• A long life starts with the initial construction. Always hire an experienced, reputable contractor to ensure that all steps will be handled correctly. Choose a contractor with experience with projects of equivalent scope and complexity. Verify his credentials, including his references and his insurance.
• Asphalt pavement should have sealant professionally applied as soon as the pavement has cured thoroughly. The curing process can take up to one year. New sealant should be applied on a regular schedule; your contractor can advise you on the best schedule for your pavement, but every two years is the average for most parking lots.
• Cracks should be filled promptly to prevent water infiltration. If water reaches the supporting foundation, erosion can occur, making it impossible for the pavement to “bounce back” when traffic passes over it. Extensive cracking patterns can develop that can be costly to repair, and in some instances, the entire pavement may need to be removed and replaced.
• Because most automotive fluids are petroleum distillates, they will react with the binders in your pavement and cause premature deterioration. Although you may be able to remove automotive fluids manually, periodic power washing of the pavement can be a helpful way to clean large areas.
• If drains become clogged, the surrounding pavement can be damaged. Water can back up where the drains meet the pavement, reach the foundation and destabilize it. Check drains periodically and remove any debris that might impede the flow of water.
Asphalt Services In San Marcos, TX
- Asphalt Paving: Asphalt paving services include the construction of new roads and parking lots, the installation of speed bumps and the application of an asphalt overlay, which is a new layer of asphalt that is applied to existing pavement. The category also includes asphalt milling, a procedure that is often used to smooth transitions between different pavements, repair damage, adjust the pavement around manholes or level the pavement. Milling can also be used to correct drainage problems. Learn more about Asphalt Paving and Asphalt Overlays.
- Asphalt Repair: The most common asphalt repairs involve filling cracks or potholes in the pavement. Breaks in the pavement can allow water to seep beneath the pavement and damage the supporting foundation, resulting in costly repairs. Learn more about Asphalt Repair.
- Asphalt Sealcoating: Sealcoating is an important part of parking lot maintenance. Sealants protect against damage caused by UV rays and automotive fluids. Sealcoating also restores color to faded asphalt, enhancing the property’s curb appeal. Learn more about Asphalt Sealcoating.
- Concrete Work: Concrete remains a popular choice for sidewalks and curbs. In Bastrop, there are also many driveways and parking lots that have been built with concrete. Concrete is also a popular choice for ramps and ADA improvements. Learn more about Concrete.
Who to Call for Help
Alpha Paving Industries is an award-winning asphalt contractor with quality workmanship, superior customer service and competitive rates. In Austin, TX, our services include asphalt paving and asphalt overlays, sealcoating, road construction, street maintenance, concrete, parking lot maintenance, parking lot striping, asphalt repair, parking lot signs, asphalt milling, speed humps, parking lot car stops, power washing, sandblasting and ADA compliance. Our concrete services in San Marcos, TX include concrete sidewalks, concrete parking lots, concrete driveways, ADA concrete, and concrete curbing. To receive a free quote, complete the online form or call (512) 677-9001.