Whether you manage a property for an individual or a corporation, your performance will be judged on many factors. Many of these factors depend on the type of property you manage, but one element transcends all property types: Are you helping the owner maximize profits by protecting the property’s assets? Although these assets vary, virtually all commercial properties have a parking lot that represents a significant investment. If you are not ensuring timely asphalt crack repairs for your asphalt parking lot, you could be jeopardizing that investment.
Why Asphalt Crack Repair Can Benefit Property Managers
How Does Crack Repair Help Protect an Investment in Asphalt Pavement?
Contractors build an asphalt pavement by constructing and compacting a stable foundation to support the weight of the pavement as well as the traffic that the roadway will bear. The foundation is a critical part of the pavement’s longevity. If the foundation becomes unstable, voids can develop that allow the pavement to subside. These voids can lead to the formation of potholes, large cracks, and alligator cracking. The leading cause of an unstable foundation is damage from water that leaked through cracks in the pavement. In most instances, an economical asphalt crack repair can prevent water penetration, averting costlier repairs and the premature demise of the pavement.
How Do Contractors Repair Cracks in Asphalt Pavement?
There are two basic methods that asphalt contractors can use to repair cracks. The method chosen depends on the nature of the crack. Both methods require the contractor to clean out the crack before introducing the repair material.
• Asphalt crack filling is the introduction of a fill material into the crack. Asphalt crack filler is somewhat rigid, so it is typically used for inactive cracks that will not continue to grow. Most block cracks and edge cracks are inactive, making them good candidates for asphalt crack filling. Some longitudinal cracks are also inactive, but most contractors prefer to use asphalt crack sealing for all longitudinal cracks.
• Asphalt crack sealing is often used for cracks that are less than an inch wide. As the name implies, this method seals the crack, preventing water and dirt from entering. Crack sealants are preferable for active cracks. Active cracks will continue to expand, but sealants are flexible enough to move with the pavement without breaking their bond. As a general rule, all transverse cracks will require sealing rather than filling. Some longitudinal, cold-joint and reflective cracks will also require the use of a sealant rather than an asphalt crack filler.
When Should Cracks Be Repaired?
Once a crack develops, you want to repair it as soon as possible. The problem is that you cannot restore a crack if you do not know it exists. A thorough visual inspection of your pavement every few months can help you identify issues, but you might want to consider asking your contractor whether he offers an asphalt maintenance program. Choose a program that provides a professional inspection at least once a year; it would be better to have an inspection in the spring and another one in the fall. The following tips can also help you protect your asphalt pavement.
• Hire a professional to apply sealant periodically. Sealcoating offers excellent protection against the sun and automotive fluids, but it is not a permanent treatment.
• Keep drains clean so that they can carry runoff safely away from your pavement. A clogged drain can force water underneath the surrounding pavement, leading to cracks and foundation damage.
• Keep your pavement clean. Remove trash, dead leaves, grass clippings, and other debris. Clean oil and other automotive fluids that may have leaked onto the pavement; they can soften your asphalt pavement, leaving it more vulnerable to damage.
If you would like to learn more about prolonging the life of your asphalt pavement, contact the experts at Alpha Paving. We are a highly regarded paving company that offers a full range of asphalt maintenance and paving services, including asphalt crack repair, asphalt overlays, asphalt paving, sealcoating, concrete installation, asphalt milling, pothole repairs, parking lot striping, road construction, speed bump installation, parking lot signs, street maintenance and concrete repairs. Our customers include counties and municipalities, office parks, apartment complexes, manufacturing facilities, airports, educational facilities, religious institutions, shopping malls, subdivisions, hotels, health care facilities, retail stores, and property management firms. We have an exemplary reputation for providing exceptional workmanship and superior customer service at competitive rates. To request a free quote, submit the online form or call 512-677-9001.
Austin, TX, Bastrop, TX, Belton, TX, Buda, TX, Cedar Park, TX, Georgetown, TX, Hutto, TX, Killeen, TX, Kyle, TX, Lago Vista, TX, Lakeway, TX, Leander, TX, New Braunfels, TX, Pflugerville, TX, Round Rock, TX, San Marcos, TX, Taylor, TX, Temple, TX