County and municipal agencies can be challenged when it comes to pavement work. On the one hand, your citizens expect you to be frugal and spend funds wisely. On the other hand, they demand roadways, parking lots, sidewalks and other paved areas that are safe, smooth, properly maintained and capable of making a favorable impression on visitors. If you want to meet all of their expectations and demands, there are a few things that you should keep in mind when making decisions about paving work.
Points to Remember About Paving
When selecting a contractor, you cannot go by price alone. Whether you need a new road constructed or a parking lot sealcoated, you need a trustworthy, experienced contractor.
For new construction, proper installation is required to obtain the maximum pavement life. The contractor must have the right equipment to prepare the ground and install the pavement; he also needs an experienced project manager and well-trained crew.
Preventive maintenance is the key to remaining within budget and ensuring the best return on your investment in pavement. Maintenance procedures are highly predictable and very economical, allowing you to budget for these expenses in an accurate manner that will make approvals easier to obtain.
Common Services for Municipalities and Counties
Every jurisdiction has different needs, but there are a number of services that are frequently requested by municipalities and counties.
• Road Construction: Asphalt pavement is the most popular choice for city streets and county highways. The initial installation costs are less than for concrete pavement; asphalt pavement can also be installed and repaired quicker.
• Asphalt Paving: Asphalt pavement is a good choice for parking lots and sports courts. It is attractive, economical to maintain and remarkably durable.
• Repairs: Keeping pavements in good repair makes for happier citizens. You will be saving money in the long run; your pavement’s life can be two or three times longer with proper maintenance. They will also be delighted that they do not encounter jarring potholes, pools of water lingering on the pavement and pavement so rough that it feels as if a mile of rumble strips have been installed.
• Sealcoating: There is nothing that is as economical and effective as sealcoating for protecting asphalt pavement. Sealcoating blocks the UV rays that leave asphalt pavement dry and brittle. It also forms a hard barrier against automotive fluids and other chemicals that can soften asphalt pavement and allow it to crumble.
• Ramps: Curb ramps allow those with mobility challenges to cross streets in a safer, easier manner. Many government buildings also need ramps to make them accessible to wheelchair users and others with mobility issues.
• Markings: Although parking lot striping is the first thing that comes to mind for many people, pavement markings are also essential. Center lines and edge lines, crosswalks, traffic arrows and handicapped parking spaces need to be marked to reduce confusion and improve safety.
• Overlays: A layer of asphalt applied over existing pavement can be a cost-effective way to salvage pavement that is too damaged to repair economically. Overlays can be installed over asphalt or concrete pavement; the foundation, however, must be in relatively good condition for an overlay to deliver the proper performance at a significant savings.
Alpha Paving is a well-respected, award-winning paving company serving counties and municipalities throughout most of Central Texas. We offer a full range of paving services, including new pavement for roads and parking lots, asphalt overlays, pavement repairs, sealcoating, pavement markings, parking lot signs and the installation of speed bumps and wheel stops. We deliver quality workmanship at competitive prices. If you would like to request a free quote, you can send in the online form or call our office at (512) 677-9001.